Friday, September 6, 2013

The Metz Pratunam | Bangkok


Pratunam taken from Pinterest

Back in July, Bangkok was all I could think about. It was my first business trip abroad and I couldn't believe I was finally heading out of Malaysia. So, it was the first time for me and I loved being in Bangkok for 3 days.


Chatuchak Market taken from sunshineandsmile.com

Unfortunately, I was literally on the go all the time and I couldn't really experience the authenticity of any Thai eateries or any touristy adventures. How sad. No pictures were taken, it was all about not wasting time. However, I did manage to visit Chatuchak Market (pronounced as Jatucak by the locals) and Pratunam Market (opens till 12am) which was around 15 mins walking distance from where I stayed. I'll definitely be heading back there soon, so I'll keep the touristy part (where to eat, shop and have fun) when I've actually experienced them myself.


The Metz Pratunam was where I stayed for 2 nights and I really loved the place. It was right in the heart of Pratunam, the place where everyone in the world head to for shopping! The photos I've posted were taken from their website but I would love to assure you that the place and rooms are exactly what they are in the photos. Squeaky clean and super comfortable.


What's the best thing about The Metz Pratunam
- 3D2N for only MYR260++ per room! Doesn't come with breakfast though. It really doesn't matter because you can get breakfast anywhere within a short walk!
- Friendly workers! Very helpful, pleasant and very accommodating. Ask the receptionist for anything and she will try her best to help you. Plus, they speak English! Asked for two extra pillows and they arrived within minutes!
- Easy to maneuver website = fuss-free room booking procedure.
- A short 5 minutes walk to the city centre where Platinum Mall (closes at 6-7pm, depending on shops) is and many other shops like Seven Eleven (for water,snacks and late night noodle cups) and Reflexology centres (shoulder and leg massage for only 200THB!).
- The rooms are clean and neat. No hanky panky people around (if you know what I mean)
- Super love the SUPER KING SIZE BED that can fit at least 3-4 people! and I can roll around without waking Doug up. Urm, but don't sleep 3-4 people, kay. I am just referring to the size of the bed.
- Oh, the shampoo in Lemongrass and the body shampoo in Lavender. I can bathe a few times a day just to smell them on me.
- The room came with a complete set of toiletries including hair dryer, coffee/tea/milo, drinking water, boiler, towels (of course!), and other standard room amenities.
- They provide airport transfers and a trip to Don Mueang International Airport for only 500THB. Other hotels about 1000THB++.
- This place is located right opposite a small restaurant that serves the best Thai food I've tasted. I didn't note down the name of the restaurant but it is the only restaurant right opposite. Halal, if you must know.

What I didn't really like about The Metz Pratunam
- Although it is a near walk to the main shopping hub, The Metz is located deep along the alleyway of Soi 15 which means that if you were to walk out or back at night, it would be a little scary. There's enough street lights but I would suggest that if you want to stay at this place, it is safer to be in a pair at the very least.
- The windows are pretty thin. So if there's something going on down below your room, you'll be able to hear. For instance, it was past midnight and I could hear a pack of dogs fighting right outside the hotel and I woke up the next day to the drilling and hammering of the on-going construction next door.

Things to note during planning.
- Print the map of the place, then show it to the cab driver. Usually I would assume that all the cab drivers are familiar with the area around Pratunam, but you'll never know. It is a very tiny place that's easy to miss.
- A visit to Bangkok is all about walking. So, pack your most comfortable walking pair of shoes or sandals.

Last but not least, pack light, travel light, go back with a truck load of awesome Bangkok stuff and remember to try Thailand's signature coffee (you can get them at any coffee places)! It is the best thing apart from shopping!

The Metz Pratunam website

No comments:

Post a Comment